• When cooking larger cuts of meat, always use an indirect heat as a source. Using the direct heat method will char the outside of the meat without allowing the inside to cook properly.
• When grilling, use a "smoker" box of aromatic hardwoods such as mesquite, hickory or pecan to give that distinctive wood smoked flavor. **Note to self: Purchase a smoker box for Father's Day :)
• Use olive oil or any other cooking oil to coat the surface of vegetables to add crispness and to hold on spices and seasonings.
• Pay careful attention to pork and poultry when grilling, you must make sure both meats are properly cooked through.
• Just like I prepare for my competitions, frequent heartburn sufferers should come prepared to enjoy the foods you love and start your 14-day course of Prilosec OTC in advance of your BBQ event. **Note to self... purchase Prilosec OTC to put with smoker box for Father's Day... we are approaching our mid thirties you know...grey hair, hearing aids and heartburn are on the horizon. hah.
Mike's Basic BBQ Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
Who knows... maybe AJ will post with a few BBQ tips of his own!