Tuesday, June 30, 2009
My husband has informed me that he is still pretty much 25 since he is still 31 until September... He says 31 is almost 3o. 30 is still so close to 20s that he is still "young" and "spritely" and pretty much still 25. Nice. Well Mr. 25, I think that makes you married to a "Cougar"! hahah!
I joke, I joke. I feel so blessed to have lived such an amazing 32 years. I truly think I have the best husband, kids, family and friends (but I am only probably slightly biased). Today was so relaxing and wonderful and I will even probably be in bed by 10pm. My how birthdays have changed.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
No, sadly that is not my kitchen sink... but I wish it was! ha.
Can't wait for some beach time!
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
- intense (check),
- persistent (double check- mommy can i have a cookie, mommy can i have a cookie, mommy, how about now, can i have a cookie, now? No. No. and No.),
- slow to adapt (1/2 check- I can't tell if I made him a routine freak or if it is his personality- so I will take 1/2 credit for that- despite contrary believe, I am reasonable like that!) and
- energetic (double check).
My boys are strong willed for sure but I wouldn't want it any other way...mix "spirited" with a little bit type A and you have a highstrung perfectionist budding four year old. Good thing for that second cup of coffee because today I had to give my first "we don't say can't in this house" speech... I hope he took away from my rant that we don't throw baseball bats when we don't like our hit and we never say "I can't". I sometimes let my imagination get the best of me and might have saw him throw his bat today and flashed forward to a 5th grade little league game filled with swear words, bat throwing and some stomping off the field. Whilst on my soap box, I am sure I sounded like such a nerd (oh gosh, i hope the neighbors weren't listening). It's a good thing my three year old can't laugh in my face yet.
I really just hope he understands that we always try our very best and feel good that we did even if we don't get the outcome we wanted. Oh and I am sure, I threw in a "quitters never win and winners never quit" (cause I am sure as a 3yr. he can totally understand that!) I don't ask much... maybe I should add "always try your best" to these three others. Tomorrow we will break out The Little Engine That Could to reiterate the point but I wish I could play him this song that I heard at the gym today. It's on my iPod. Don't judge.
There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
always gonna be an uphill battle
sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
ain't about how fast I get there
ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
it's a climb.
Yes, you read that right, I just quoted Miley Cyrus.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I joke, I joke.
Monday, June 22, 2009
Sunday, June 21, 2009
The kids made AJ a special Father's Day Golf Mobile and a subscription to a Golf Magazine... cause that's what this house needs is one more magazine!
Friday, June 19, 2009
Thursday, June 18, 2009
I recently read an article in Parents magazine about Flax seed and it's benefits - dha (omega 3s), fiber, yada yada. I was initially concerned about Thomas getting enough of these after ditching the formula which has these vitamins in it... so this seemed like a good alternative to serving "pink chicken" (or salmon to the uncrazies) every day.
Coincidence that we read Sleeping Beauty before nap today (she was pricked by a piece of flax for those not up on their Disney reads..), I think not! Yes, I giggled a little as I read that part! Don't judge-- I know I need to get out more. It's cool.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Fast forward to bday cake and present time tonight. Jack says, "let's give mom-mom her present! Let's give mom mom her present!" to which AJ responds, "Oh NO, I don't have it. I forgot it!?" Screech! (*that would be the sound of my brain coming to a halt!*) Switch! (*that would be my Irish temper switching on!) What does he mean he forgot it, I called to ask him if I should pick it up!? He didn't forget it, he's just joking. Surely, he is kidding... Hurry, quick, quick before I kill you say you are KIDDING! Maybe some of that was said outloud- you get to guess which part.
"Um so when I called to say I would pick it up and you said, 'nope I got it'... what in the world did you pick up... (please say diamonds... please say that purse I have been eyeing... for the sake of pete please make up something good...)
"Ohhhhh, I thought you meant the cake."
"Ahhh right, the cake... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
Well this sure does take the cake. Boys, I love your dad, but he is in kahootz with you all to make my hair gray. What is that vitamin to enhance memories... ginkobilba or something? We need it, whatever it is.
• When cooking larger cuts of meat, always use an indirect heat as a source. Using the direct heat method will char the outside of the meat without allowing the inside to cook properly.
• When grilling, use a "smoker" box of aromatic hardwoods such as mesquite, hickory or pecan to give that distinctive wood smoked flavor. **Note to self: Purchase a smoker box for Father's Day :)
• Use olive oil or any other cooking oil to coat the surface of vegetables to add crispness and to hold on spices and seasonings.
• Pay careful attention to pork and poultry when grilling, you must make sure both meats are properly cooked through.
• Just like I prepare for my competitions, frequent heartburn sufferers should come prepared to enjoy the foods you love and start your 14-day course of Prilosec OTC in advance of your BBQ event. **Note to self... purchase Prilosec OTC to put with smoker box for Father's Day... we are approaching our mid thirties you know...grey hair, hearing aids and heartburn are on the horizon. hah.
Mike's Basic BBQ Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
And just for the record these pictures are ... not to scale (ahahah. you knew that would be in here somewhere.)
Sunday, June 14, 2009
I had hopes of posting a pic from our wedding (or at least the two of us) but I am still "roadblogging." Oh well. Maybe I will update.,.. if i remember... not a strong suit these days...
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
And so far my mom hasn't expelled the boys from Camp Nana so all is great! Jack even has a playdate with his buddy Gabe tomorrow!
Monday, June 8, 2009
Is it too early for a mimosa? Probably would get some weird looks,huh.
Ok, be good boys. Mommy loves you.
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
Monday, June 1, 2009
July 4th... everything about it - bbqs, parades, old friends and family fun. I might love July 4th more than Christmas :) (no joke)