Wednesday, June 24, 2009

i know i can

I hope this doesn't come across as sarcastic but I truly feel so blessed to be the mother of not one but two "spirited" children. Spirited children are typically:
  • intense (check),

  • persistent (double check- mommy can i have a cookie, mommy can i have a cookie, mommy, how about now, can i have a cookie, now? No. No. and No.),

  • slow to adapt (1/2 check- I can't tell if I made him a routine freak or if it is his personality- so I will take 1/2 credit for that- despite contrary believe, I am reasonable like that!) and

  • energetic (double check).

My boys are strong willed for sure but I wouldn't want it any other way...mix "spirited" with a little bit type A and you have a highstrung perfectionist budding four year old. Good thing for that second cup of coffee because today I had to give my first "we don't say can't in this house" speech... I hope he took away from my rant that we don't throw baseball bats when we don't like our hit and we never say "I can't". I sometimes let my imagination get the best of me and might have saw him throw his bat today and flashed forward to a 5th grade little league game filled with swear words, bat throwing and some stomping off the field. Whilst on my soap box, I am sure I sounded like such a nerd (oh gosh, i hope the neighbors weren't listening). It's a good thing my three year old can't laugh in my face yet.

I really just hope he understands that we always try our very best and feel good that we did even if we don't get the outcome we wanted. Oh and I am sure, I threw in a "quitters never win and winners never quit" (cause I am sure as a 3yr. he can totally understand that!) I don't ask much... maybe I should add "always try your best" to these three others. Tomorrow we will break out The Little Engine That Could to reiterate the point but I wish I could play him this song that I heard at the gym today. It's on my iPod. Don't judge.

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
always gonna be an uphill battle
sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

ain't about how fast I get there

ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
it's a climb.
-Miley Cyrus


Yes, you read that right, I just quoted Miley Cyrus.

No comments:

Post a Comment