Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thumbprints

Doesn't every mother dream of making Christmas cookies with their kids -- music in the background, better crocker aprons on - a dab of flour to the face. Well after a disastrous attempt at traditional "Christmas Cookies" last year with my then three year old, I re-visted my plan of attack.

This year we tried SIMPLE and few ingredients, quick bake time, no rolling/sprinkles/frosting/cookie cutters. Thumbprints it is! And what a success it was. Perhaps the massive amounts of Baileys I put in my coffee helped! Ha --just joking- plain old skinny latte for me!

Betty Crocker Thumbprint Cookies
Mix together
1/2 c shortening
1/4 c brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift together
1 c sifted flour (lets not kid ourselves i did not sift and they turned out just fine)
1/4 tsp salt

Roll into 1" balls. Dip in slightly beaten egg whites. Place about 1" apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Quickly press thumb gently on top of each cookie. Return to oven and bake 8 minutes longer. Cool. Place in thumbprints jelly/confectioner sugar icing/hershey kisses.

I think Santa will like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment